Thursday, March 20, 2008

Law of Attraction & The Four Agreements, Part III

(If you are looking for the Special Offer for the Powerful Pivoting Program, scroll down to the March 15th post.)


To continue my comparison of the book The Four Agreements to Law of Attraction principles, my focus today is on Don Miguel Ruiz’s third agreement, which states, “Don’t make assumptions.”  This is the one that seems the most ambiguous in the law of attraction material with which I am familiar, but I’ll do my best.  


My mind goes first to the LOA (Law of Attraction) principle that no one else can know what is best for you, and the reciprocal, you cannot know what is best for others, so don’t assume that you do, or can.  No one person can know the full range of experiences and dreams that shape the fine details that comprise another’s experience.  We cannot know exactly how they perceive the universe around them, nor the levels of interest or yearning contained in their heart, so how could we possibly assume that we would then be able to know what they want or how they want it delivered.  It is our business to focus on our own journey.


This becomes very complicated when it comes to marriages, but relationships of any kind are packed with possibilities for misunderstandings and assumptions, so this is an excellent area around which to set intentions for the highest good.  We can only be as open and honest about who we are and what we want in any given relationship, and encourage the other party to do the same.  Amplifying communication channels is the best path to optimal relationships, and therefore harmony, but never a guarantee.  As Ruiz states in his book, over time, people in long term relationships begin to assume that the other party “knows” them.  Then if something does not go as desired they often assume the other party did this despite knowing them, thus a perceived infraction of the trust that is supposedly at the core of the bond.  


Perhaps a good thing to consider is that we are in an ever-changing world.  In such an environment, anything, or anyone, can change.  Abraham goes to the extent of discussing a new form of wedding vows that would go something like this, “I like you pretty well and I promise to be true to myself and work on staying connected to my own inner guidance and you do the same ... and we’ll just see how it goes.”  I’m not sure many would agree to have that kind of statement at the crux of a ceremony that is supposed to be the epitome of “commitment,” but in all honesty, I see their point.  In the end, this kind of wedding vow is not making any assumptions but clearly states, up front, that neither party is assuming the arrangement will work forever (allowing for the changing self in the changing universe), and is also admitting that the only way this arrangement can work is if both parties commit to being true to themselves and their connection to their inner selves.


Given this ever-changing environment of ours, perhaps it would be best not to allow one’s self to become complacent, but rather to make our intentions LIVING INTENTIONS.  If our level of commitment never drops and we LIVE our intentions full out every day, we run a better chance of harmony and fulfillment of our desires.  And might I add, it is what all those vows are about after all; we don’t make a vow that says, ‘I’ll do my best, when I think about it, to live up to this agreement we are making here today.”  No, typically the vows we make in life are intended to be deep commitments of our heart and core to another.


The one area I would particularly like to discuss before I close is where the Law of Attraction material says that we should absolutely expect the universe to deliver our desires to us.  One might say that expect = assumes, and if so, then how could this Third Agreement truly be similar to the Law of Attraction?  I would ask you to take a deeper look at this.  Every word has a vibration, just like every person.  If you look at the word “assumption” with your senses, I believe you will find that this word carries a bit of the vibration of doubt in it.  I kind of relate assuming to hoping, which is five notches down from knowing on the vibrational scale provided by Abraham.  In other words, I could say, “I assume, but I do not know, and that is why I am assuming.”  Whereas the word “expect” clearly carries the vibration of knowing, as in “I am expecting my desire to manifest at any moment.”


So don’t assume your desires will come to you.  EXPECT they are already yours.  Don’t assume anything.  EXPECT EVERYTHING.  


Doing your part to live your intentions will keep you resonating in alignment with them and the universe must deliver.  Expect the relationship to evolve harmoniously, the job to come, the money to be there when you need it, the book to be a huge sensation, the dinner to be your best ever ... every moment lived in this state of expectation is a moment in total alignment to your desire and this means the universe can deliver it to you toot sweet!  So what is the best vibration to stand in?


Don’t assume anything.  Expect it!


Toodles,

CJ

No comments: