Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Twittle Manifestation


A couple of weeks ago I noticed the first birds flying in V-formation in the skies up here.  In Minnesota, March is sometimes unpredictable weather, so when you see the birds you know that winter is coming to an end soon.  They know you know.  Funny how we trust the instincts in nature, but not our own ... and we are a part of nature, too.  Huh.


Anyway, that isn't what I was going to tell you.  When I saw them in the sky that first day, my heart leapt for joy and I remember my thought was, "Yay!  My ears will get to hear birdsong again!"  And then as the days went by and I heard all the different songs outside my windows (I'm hearing them right now!) I had memories of delicious bird experiences in my past ... the time I was in the woods and a Great Horned Owl landed on a tree about 20 feet away from me, turned its head and gazed at me for about 2 minutes while I stood frozen and transfixed; the first time I heard a Meadowlark, perhaps the sweetest sound I've ever heard; and the seagull who kept bowing to me (for me) in Duluth last summer (I am including his picture so you'll believe me).  And the thoughts continued, and tumbled, and fed my soul and made me happy.


A few days ago I was driving and the thoughts were there again, making me happy, and I had a new memory ... of a morning when the window over my bed was open and the Spring breeze was delectable, and a bird was singing just feet from my head.  My heart had swelled with joy!  And as the memory trickled through my being, I felt a rocket of desire launch ... that I would have the kind of life where I awaken to birdsong instead of an alarm clock.


And as of yesterday, it seems this lifestyle is here!!  I set my alarm clock both mornings not wanting my fatigue to keep me sleeping too far into the morning.  Both mornings birdsong woke me about 10 minutes before the alarm was set to go off!  What a delicious way to start the day!


Here’s to Spring and the return of the birds!

CJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.